I went to college a long way away from where I grew up and was glad to find a “home away from home” at church. It was a place where I could get away from campus a little bit and share some of the wrestlings of life that I was experiencing in college in a supportive and caring environment. I also enjoyed getting involved in a handbell choir and participating in service opportunities.
At Broadway United Methodist Church, we would love to be your “home away from home.” And we’re just 4 blocks away, straight ahead across the pedestrian bridge over Lamar Alexander Parkway (just beyond Vienna Coffeehouse).
Some of the things we offer that might interest you:
* Broadway Hikers – I’m part of a group that takes monthly excursions into the beautiful mountains that surround us. We leave from the church, usually on a Saturday.
* Music – We have a Praise Band that provides music for our contemporary worship service (11:15 a.m.). We also have a handbell choir and a chancel choir that does more classical selections for our traditional service (10:00 a.m.).
* Sunday School – We have a variety of Sunday School classes (intergenerational, contemporary issues, Bible-based) to suit all kinds of interests. They meet on Sunday mornings at 9:00 a.m.
* Young Adult Ministry – Our Young Adult group meets regularly for fellowship, movie nights, games and dinner. They have a Facebook page if you would like to check out upcoming events.
* Children and Youth Programs – We are always looking for volunteers to help with these areas of ministry. Our Wednesday Kids Club (from 4:30 to 5:30 p.m. during the school year) is part of our outreach to the Hispanic community. Our youth program (meets on Sunday afternoons at 5:00 p.m.) could always use people who enjoy hanging out with youth to serve as mentors and small groups leaders.
* Mission and Service – We have a Food Pantry that operates twice a month on Saturdays and need volunteers to help with bagging the groceries. There is free lunch offered every Friday by the Salvation Army. We also have a Disaster Response Group that helps with home repair projects in our area and beyond (including work with Habitat for Humanity). We participate regularly with Family Promise, a local ministry that provides temporary housing for homeless families. We are very committed to serving those in need in our community and throughout the world.
* Broadway Small Groups – There are a variety of short-term interest-based groups for all ages and lifestyles. Fall 2018 offerings include Tai Chi, a Knitting group, Book Club and Four-week study on the United Methodist Church’s discussion about human sexuality
If you would like to know more about any of these activities, I hope you will contact me. My e-mail address is email@example.com or feel free to call me at 982-6192 (x2).
Grace and Peace,
Laura R. Rasor