Purpose of the United Methodist Women
The organized unit of the United Methodist Women shall be a community of women whose purpose is to know God and to experience freedom as whole persons through Jesus Christ: to develop a creative supportive fellowship; and to expand concepts of mission through participation in the global ministries of the church. Membership in United Methodist Women Membership in the United Methodist Women shall be open to any woman who indicates a desire to belong and participate in the global mission of the church through the organization. More than one million women across the country are members of this organization which participates in mission through the Women’s Division of the General Board of Global Ministries. Our special emphasis is women, youth, and children in thousands of communities in every state in the United States and in over fifty countries.
Broadway United Methodist Women
Broadway United Methodist Women began in 1897 when a group of women arranged the purchase of land for a new church. They immediately began fundraising for the construction of the church. Throughout the existence of UMW, the organization has expanded its purpose to include the support of church, local national and international missions. The names through the years have been Woman’s Missionary Society, the Woman’s Home and Foreign Missionary Society, the Woman’s Society of Christian Service (WSCS) and United Methodist Women (UMW). In addition to Unit membership and meetings, Broadway women may participate in any of four sub-groups:
- Circle of Fellowship meets at the church the first Thursday of the month at 10:00 a.m. in the W. R. Allen Hall. Knit-Wits meets in the church parlor on Mondays at 10:00 a.m.
- Square One meets at 6:30 p.m. on the first Monday of each month September through May at various locations.
- The Broadway Unit also has members who, because of family responsibilities, health limitations or work schedules, choose to remain inactive within a specific sub-group.
Broadway United Methodist Women in Action
Our work includes:
- Contributing approximately $5000 per year to District, Conference, National and International UMW missions.
- Providing funds toward the schooling of South Sudan orphans now living in a refugee camp (GRACE Home for Children) in Uganda.
- Hosting, cooking, and arranging programs for the 5th Wednesday meals.
Providing evening meals for Family Promise.
- Hosting the August birthday party for residents at the Asbury Place Health Care Center.
- Supporting and providing educational experiences for women through the UMW reading program and District and Conference events.
- Providing partial camperships for Broadway children and youth to go to Camp Wesley Woods.
- Making items for both local and national mission efforts.
- Contributing financially to church and local missions:
- Holston Home for Children
- Wesley House summer program
- Angel Tree children
- Brown Food Pantry
- BUMC Golden Council
- BUMC Helping Hand
- Hispanic Dental Ministry